THE UDL RULES
Here are 10 easy rules that capture the basics of our Ultimate Dodgeball League.
- Our Dodgeball court is about the quarter of size of a large gymnasium with a centerline and 8 players are on each side of the court.
- Dodgeball is primarily self-refereed, and played with the honor rules. During league play, there are 2 referees stationed at the end of the centerline, that help facilitate the game. Referees start the game, confirm hits and catches, and count ball possession time.
- There are 6 balls, split into 2 even groups on the centerline. During the opening rush (when the game starts), players may retrieve balls or throw/roll them back to their teammates
- You are out if: 1) you step on or over the centerline; 2) a thrown live ball hits your body(below shoulders while standing); and 3) you throw a live ball and it is caught by an opponent.
- A thrown live ball can only hit out 1 player. Thrown balls that hit the ground, the wall, other balls, a teammate, or other objects before hitting the opponent are considered dead balls, and are ineligible to hit players out.
- You may block a thrown ball with a held ball. However, if you drop the blocking ball during the act of blocking, or if you fail to make a clean block (as in the thrown ball still ends up hitting or grazing your body afterwards), you are out.
- If you are out, sit on the bench on your side in the order you got out (think of it as being in an “resurrection” line). If your teammate catches a ball, the player at the start of your team’s “resurrection” line comes back into play (the teammate must be in the line at the time of the catch to be eligible to be brought back in).
- You can only hold a ball for 10 seconds, afterwards, it will be considered dead. Dead balls need to be rolled over immediately to the other team.
- If the game comes down to 1 player per side, they have 10 seconds to hit each other out; if not, "Showdown" comes into effect. The game is paused, each player gets two balls, two balls are lined up at the ends of the centerline, and the centerline is dissolved. The first player to get the other player out wins.
- Have fun, shake hands, make friends and be spirited!